Stange Law Firm, PC
Your Case Tracker client login
Toll Free:855-805-0595

Belleville and Edwardsville Divorce Law Blog

Illinois woman's struggle shows financial impact of divorce

When a couple goes through a divorce, an ended marriage is just one of many changes. Life does change. For many, life changes for the better, but that doesn't mean that life gets easier in all ways. 

Of course, it might feel like a sweet freedom to be free from a spouse with whom one no longer could bear to live. There are struggles, though, for many following a divorce. A difficult life change tends to be a dip in financial security. An Illinois woman discusses her changed life following her divorce.

Will I be able to keep the same lifestyle after divorce?

Many people who are about to end a marriage with divorce want to know if they will be able to enjoy the same kind of lifestyle that they enjoyed during the marriage. In other words, people want to know if the divorce will force them to make cuts on their spending.

This is especially common in cases involving high-net-worth individuals who have grown accustom to a certain level of comfort in their lives.

3 tips for parents entering the holidays after a divorce

32696870_S.jpgThanksgiving is this Thursday, which means the holiday season is officially upon us. If you have recently gone through divorce in the past year, you may not be looking forward to the holidays as much as prior years. In fact, you may be dreading the season, especially if you won't be able to spend as much time with your children as you would like.

Luckily, there is a lot of advice available out there on not just surviving the holidays after a divorce, but making the most out of them. We will discuss a few of the best tips here in this post.

Parental rights protection for deployed service members

24447218_L.jpgService members give up so much of themselves, putting so much on the line. One thing that they should never have to give up, though, is their rights as parents. At the Stange Law Firm, PC, we help service members who are facing family law issues involving their children. 

While children's issues can affect any parent, we know that service members are often in unique situations when it comes to family law concerns. There could be the need to adjust existing child custody or visitation plans due to relocation or concerns related to pending actions during a deployment. 

Preparing for the financial freedom that divorce inspires

41102395_S.jpgFor as long as you have been married, your financial ups and downs have been tied to those of your spouse. One of the benefits of divorce involves severing your financial future from your spouse's financial future. Certainly, it can be scary and frustrating to transition from a household that may have been supported by two incomes to a household that is solely supported by you. However, the financial freedom that this transition provides is not to be overlooked.

Think back to the moments in your marriage when you or your spouse was foolish about money. Think about purchases that your spouse made that you didn't approve of or financial decisions that your spouse insisted upon even though your gut told you to take a different approach. Once your divorce settlement is finalized, you will have the freedom to determine your own financial future without taking your spouse's preferences and approaches into account.

Weathering divorce as a 20-something

31217153_S.jpg There is no perfect time to get divorced. At every stage of life, married couples must grapple with both common and unique circumstances related to age, marriage duration and a host of other factors. The bottom line is that if your marriage is not a healthy and happy one, and it is unlikely to become a healthy and happy one, you may benefit from the divorce process. This simultaneously challenging and potentially liberating reality is true regardless of your age and regardless of how long you have been married to your spouse.

With that said, there are certain age-related issues that you may need to process in order to obtain a fair divorce settlement and to move forward in your life in healthy ways. For example, if you are in your 20s, you may be particularly concerned with the stigma attached to a divorce born of a short-lived marriage. It is important to discuss this concern with a counselor or another objective party so that you do not allow your fear of stigma to influence your approach to your divorce negotiations.

Case highlights issue of sexual abuse, visitation rights, P.2

6612052_S.jpgIn our last post, we began looking at the case of an imprisoned father who was able to have adoption proceedings stopped on the grounds that he did not, in fact, abandon his children, despite his imprisonment on charges that he molested his daughter. It remains to be seen how the case will proceed at this point, but a likely outcome is that the mother and stepfather will end up going to the county attorney to file a termination of parental rights request.

As for the father, he expects to be paroled between 2017 and 2019, and hopes to one day have supervised visits with his children, at least the two boys. Any judge looking at supervised visitation in this case is obviously going to have to think long and hard about whether granting visitation to the father is in the best interests of the children. This assumes that visitation is even a possibility in such a case.

Spousal support could be involved in Green-Fox divorce

5584899_S.jpgFor those who pay attention to tabloids and celebrity news, this will be common knowledge: actress Megan Fox and her soon-to-be-former husband Brian Austin Green have filed for divorce after five years of marriage. The couple has two sons together, and apparently they are going for joint custody, though that hasn't been confirmed. However, Green has asked that Fox pay him spousal support.

This divorce, though a celebrity divorce (which don't always involve circumstances that everyday people can relate to), brings up two topics that are important in divorce: child custody and spousal support.

Prenups: some issues can be included, while others can't

A couple of weeks ago, we wrote a blog post about prenuptial agreements, and how you and your spouse should at least consider the possibility of a prenup even if you ultimately decide against signing such a contract. It is still an important discussion to have -- but it's up to you and your spouse to determine whether or not such an important contract is right for your marriage.

What is not up for you and your spouse to determine is what, legally, can be included in the prenuptial agreement. The two of you can't have certain language in the contract should you choose to have one, and there are certain provisions that are forbidden in the prenup. So what are the "do's" and "don'ts" in the world of prenuptial agreements? Let's take a look at some of the critical factors:

A property division primer for Illinois residents

13728086_S.jpgProperty division is a fundamental part of divorce, and there are many people out there who are intimidated by the idea of dealing with property division. This is perfectly understandable, because property division can be quite complicated. Allow us to explain some of the basic elements to property division to allow you to go into your property division discussions with more confidence.

There are two types of property division laws. Most states, including Illinois, follow equitable distribution laws. Under these laws, a judge will determine what is "fair" for the divorce in terms of property division. Community property laws, meanwhile, essentially entitle each spouse to a 50 percent stake in any assets or property that is deemed "marital" property.