Change in finances leads to child support modification request

On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in Child Support on Tuesday, August 28, 2012.

Family circumstances can change for a number of reasons. A father can end up laid off and out of work, or taking a job where he earns less. Or maybe, he knows he is going to be going through a surgery and will be out of work for several months. In all of these situations, the father may attempt to have his child support payments reduced by asking the courts for a modification to an existing order.

One former agricultural commissioner recently did just this. The father has been out of work since his term expired on the first of the year and he knows he will be unable to work for at least two months after he goes through surgery this month.

His child support modification request comes the month after his divorce was finalized. The final dissolution of his marriage came more than a year after his wife filed for divorce in April 2011.

In addition to anticipating not being able to pay his current child support amount, it appears the father is also facing other financial issues as a judge recently ruled in favor of a bank to go forward with a foreclosure on a home owned by he and his ex-wife.

When looking at this case, it’s important to take note that the father went the right way about requesting a modification, and rather than just not making payments, is attempting to explain how his financial circumstances have changed since when the child support order was first put into place.

Source: The Courier-Journal, “Richie Farmer wants child support reduced because of loss of state job,” Aug. 13, 2012

Related Posts