On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in Property Division on Wednesday, February 3, 2016.
Want to know if you have truly found “The One”? Before you walk down the aisle, would you like a guarantee that you and your spouse-to-be will never get divorced?
Of course you would, but there is no crystal ball that can predict how long a marriage will last. The best thing you can do is be as sure as you can that both of you are in love and compatible life partners. To that end, here are seven conversations you and your partner should consider having, to test how well your lives will fit together long-term:
- Are one of you closer to their parents than the other? Will one side of the family dominate holidays and grandchild time?
- Do our argument styles mesh, so that disagreements are constructive?
- How important is sex to each of you? Does one of you need to have sex much more often than the other?
- What about having kids?
- What does monogamy mean to each of you?
- Do the two of you have similar attitudes and habits towards money?
- Are your plans for the future similar, or quite different?
The more a couple gives similar answers to these questions, the more likely it is their marriage will be happy and fulfilling. But there are no guarantees in life, and divorce can happen to anybody. Besides making sure you and your partner are compatible, another step you can take is to create a prenuptial agreement. If the two of you ever divorce, the prenup can take a lot of the stress and uncertainty out of the process.