When can you seek a custody modification

On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in Child Custody on Monday, May 9, 2016.

The troubles you had during your marriage are supposed to go away after your divorce is finalized, but if you have children with your ex-spouse, you may still have difficulties as co-parents. This may also mean that the differences you had while you were married may still exist when it comes to the kids. In fact, your ex may still try to needle you by criticizing your parenting choices and making threats about continued court intervention if you don’t change your parenting decisions.

However, before succumbing to the threat of a custody modification motion, parents should understand the types of disputes that family court judges may not want to be involved in. This post will identify a few of them.

Choices in entertainment – Parents may differ in how much screen time a child should have. If you think it’s okay for the kids to play with their tablets for hours, but the other parent throws a fit if they do, chances are that a court will not intervene in this type of dispute.  Essentially, judges expect parents to put aside their differences and work together.

Differences with religion – If one parent insists that the children should be Catholic, while the other is not religious, courts are not likely to intervene because they do not want to issue rulings that may favor one parent’s religious beliefs over another.

Care by significant others – Indeed a parent may not be happy with a parent’s boyfriend or girlfriend caring for the child when the parent is not around, but courts generally will not intervene in these situations unless there is a specific physical or emotional threat.

The preceding is not legal advice. If you have questions about custody or parenting time issues, an experienced family law attorney can help.

Related Posts