Stopping child support when a child becomes emancipated

On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in Child Support on Monday, April 17, 2017.

Illinois parents who are ordered to pay child support will be required to continue making payments until the child either reaches the age of majority or becomes emancipated. There are several reasons why children may become emancipated. For example, they may join the military, become financially independent from their custodial parent or they may get married before turning 18.

In the event that a child becomes emancipated before reaching the age of majority, the child support payments are not automatically terminated. The parent will have to go to court and request that the child support order be closed. In some cases, the parent should be prepared to show evidence that the child is indeed emancipated. If the parent does not do this, the other parent can request that the court enforce the child support order.

Although most parents are required to pay child support until a child reaches age of majority, there are certain situations where they may be required to continue to make payments when the child is an adult. For example, adult children who have special needs may require child support for medical care. Additionally, a child who was married but divorced and is still a minor may be entitled to child support.

If a child has reached the age of majority or has become emancipated, a family law attorney may help a parent go to court to request that the child support order be terminated. The attorney may assist with providing evidence to show that the child has become emancipated and no longer lives with the custodial parent. If a custodial parent suddenly stops receiving child support without a termination of the child support order, an attorney could ask that the court enforce the order until the child reaches age of majority or becomes emancipated.

Related Posts