It is not uncommon for Metro East, IL residents to believe that their family law matters do not necessitate legal representation. Understandably, some may believe that investing in legal counsel would be wasteful, especially when a case seems very straightforward at first. The reality is that any legal affair can quickly escalate into a highly complex litigation battle. Many pitfalls wait for participants in the legal process who decide to forego legal counsel in their cases.
Anyone considering filing for a divorce or other family law matter must seek legal representation. Your attorney can provide many valuable services and handle all of your legal affairs so you can feel more confident about the situation.
Potential Risks for Unrepresented Family Law Clients
When you do not hire an attorney to assist you in a family law matter, you face several serious risks:
- The family court system upholds strict legal procedures for all cases. Failing to meet these procedures to the letter could significantly jeopardize your case.
- The court requires the submission of various forms and documents. If you happen to miss a filing deadline, it can be more than a delay. It will not only stall your legal proceedings but also result in additional legal proceedings if you need to appeal a case determination that did not go the way you intended.
- Uncovering evidence is a more difficult process than the average person might realize. It is not uncommon for people to believe they are capable of researching and finding all the documented evidence they will need for their cases. The reality is that intensive legal research is best left to a seasoned Metro East, IL family law team.
- If you are involved in a divorce, child custody case, or other family law matter, it is likely that the other party or parties involved will hire their own legal representatives. If the other party has an attorney and you do not, this puts you at an extreme disadvantage, especially if your case goes to litigation.
- Failure or refusal to hire a family law attorney to assist with your case will likely lead to more time consuming and more expensive legal proceedings that draw out the overall timeline for your case.
These are only a few of the potential risks facing anyone who does not secure legal counsel for a family law matter. By hiring legal representation, you can not only avoid these issues but also strengthen your own case in many ways.
The Real Benefits of Hiring a Metro East, IL Family Law Attorney
Perhaps the most important advantage of hiring an attorney to assist you with a Metro East, IL family law matter is peace of mind. You can rest assured that your legal matter is in capable hands, eliminating much of the stress that is commonly experienced by those involved in serious legal matters. Hiring an experienced attorney provides several additional benefits:
- You will not be alone when it comes to filing necessary forms and documents with the court. Your Metro East, IL family law attorney can ensure all your submissions are complete, accurate, and filed in a timely manner so your case can proceed uninterrupted by administrative or clerical issues.
- You can continue focusing on your home and your family while your attorney handles your legal proceedings. While you will still have an active role in your case as it unfolds, hiring an attorney means you will not have to devote every free minute you have to building your case.
- An experienced attorney will have the resources to conduct much more thorough investigative research and fact-finding processes than the average person can manage. This means you will have greater access to information that can be helpful to your side of the case.
- It is not uncommon for family law matters to require input from experienced professionals in various fields. Medical doctors, psychologists, social workers, and forensic accounts are just a few of the expert witnesses who may assist you with your family law matter. Your attorney will know how to contact these experts and secure their support for your case.
- Hiring legal counsel to assist you with a family law case increases the chance of a satisfactory result with no need to appeal with a post-judgment motion This can drastically reduce the time and money you must invest in your case.
- In the event you do need to follow up on your case with a post-judgment motion, you will already have access to an experienced and reliable attorney who is familiar with your case and therefore able to provide the level of representation you need to secure your post-judgment motion as quickly as possible.
These advantages are undeniable in virtually every family law matter. If you are unsure whether you need to hire an attorney to help you with your current case, call our firm. Keep the aforementioned benefits in mind and take time to locate a Metro East, IL family law attorney with the experience and resources necessary to successfully handle your case.
What to Expect From Your Attorney
If you acknowledge the value an experienced Metro East, IL family law attorney can offer in your case, take time to research local attorneys who have solid experience handling cases like yours. You should expect a potential attorney to provide a clear and professional interpretation of your case, what is likely to unfold, and the likelihood of securing the result you hope to achieve.
A good attorney will be honest and clear when they provide you with their take on your family law matter. Most family law cases are far more complex than the average person realizes. This initial review of a case is incredibly valuable for helping a client better understand their position. Your attorney should provide you with a clear set of expectations you should hold as you proceed through your case. They should also take time to prepare you for the proceedings ahead as fully as possible.
Choose a Metro East, IL family law attorney who can provide comprehensive, compassionate, and responsive legal representation. Make sure you know when to expect updates on your case proceedings and how to get in touch with your attorney. Ultimately, hiring an experienced attorney to represent you in a family law matter can be the determining factor in achieving success with your case.